Sunday, March 20, 2011

Wait, wait... I don't see any semicolons

What have you got there?
Let me see!
Is it six sentences long?
Does it make any sense?
So why aren't you happy with it?
You're fretting because you think that at least one of your sentences needs to be longer and you are wondering if I agree and can I answer your question without starting a new sentence and surprisingly I'm pretty sure I can, just like I am actually pretty sure there is no sort of requirement, either spoken or unspoken, that at least one of your six sentences be extremely long and unwieldy and held together rather shakily by an excessive number of semi-colons, which never, of course, fools anyone because all of us know that in the real world, a ridiculous run-on sentence like that would be chopped apart and reformatted into three or four sentences but if, on the other hand, you DID NOT write a really long sentence, that's really okay and no one, believe me, NO ONE is going to hold it against you.

No comments:

Post a Comment